Cricket

Coronavirus scare causes cancellation of India’s tour of Sri Lanka

Reports coming have it that India’s limited-overs tour of Sri Lanka slated for June-July has been called off for now due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Both cricketing boards stated that the situation is not feasible for the games to go ahead.

Sri Lankan board (SLC), which hopes to make huge money from the tour through TV right, remains hopeful that the series could be held at a later date.

There had been an agreement between the two boards to play three ODIs and as many T20s from the end of June and continue till July in Sri Lanka, with the dates not yet been finalized due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Speaking on the development, BCCI treasurer Arun Dhumal said it’s impossible to go ahead with the tour in June-July, and this has been communicated to the SLC, adding that it is also committed to playing the series at a later date.

There had been reports that the BCCI had given the SLC the green light that the games will be played in August, which provided players to return to training few days after the relaxation of total lockdown as India managed to curtail the spread of the virus.

The coronavirus cases in India have continued to rise rapidly, with over 8,000 COVID-19 deaths recorded and about three lakh cases.

According to reports, the players will need to get back to training first, and it would take four to six weeks to regain match fitness.

Since both boards are committed to having the series in August, it could still go ahead.

Dhumal further stated that the team is presently not practicing, and the BCCI remains unsure when international travel restrictions will be lifted, meaning the series can’t hold in June-July.

SLC also confirmed the development via a media release on Thursday, saying the BCCI will seek advice from the Indian Government and the health regulatory authorities before taking any decision for the resumption of Cricket.

Written by Oladipupo Mojeed

About the Author


Written by DafaNews

DafaNews brings you the most highlighted news in the world of Sports. It serves you up-to-date matches, scores, live streams, fantasy games and quizzes. Our news covers India's prestigious leagues and events – Premier League, Pro Kabbadi League, Cricket World Cup and many more. Follow DafaNews on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,Telegram and Youtube for more updates.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DafaNews

Recent Posts

Irfan Pathan backs Devdutt Padikkal to bat at no.3 in one-off Test against Afghanistan

Former Indian all-rounder Irfan Pathan has backed Devdutt Padikkal to bat at one drop in… Read More

May 21, 2026

Saba Karim says RR are dependent on Vaibhav Suryavanshi’s batting amid IPL 2026

Former Indian wicket-keeper bat Saba Karim believes Rajasthan Royals are dependent on Vaibhav Suryavanshi’s batting… Read More

May 21, 2026

Ravichandran Ashwin slams Arshdeep Singh after PBKS vs RCB IPL 2026 game

Former Indian all-rounder Ravichandran Ashwin slammed Arshdeep Singh’s performance after Punjab Kings suffered a 23-run… Read More

May 19, 2026

Wasim Jaffer lauds Vaibhav Suryavanshi after DC vs RR IPL 2026 match

Former Indian Test opener Wasim Jaffer lavished praise on Vaibhav Suryavanshi after Rajasthan Royals suffered… Read More

May 19, 2026

Hemang Badani hails Mitchell Starc after win against Rajasthan Royals in IPL 2026

Delhi Capitals head coach Hemang Badani showered praise on Mitchell Starc after they registered a… Read More

May 18, 2026

Riyan Parag after loss against DC: If we keep playing like this, we shouldn’t be in contention for top 4

Rajasthan Royals captain Riyan Parag expressed his disappointment after they suffered a five-wicket loss against… Read More

May 18, 2026