Cricket

IPL 2021 | BCCI President Sourav Ganguly confirms IPL will go on as per schedule

 

There have been several doubts over the continuity of IPL 2021 amid the deadly second wave of COVID-19 that has been wreaking havoc in India. As a result, several players have voiced their concerns.

Delhi Capitals and India off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin has pulled out of the tournament in order to be beside his family in such difficult times. Several Australian players, including Royal Challenger Bangalore’s Kane Richardson and Adam Zampa, and Rajasthan Royals’ Andrew Tye have decided to fly back home. Those players argued that they did not want to be ‘locked out’ of their own country.

In light of such recent developments and the continuous debates on whether continuing with the IPL makes sense, BCCI Chief Sourav Ganguly has reiterated that the tournament will continue despite these small hiccups.

“So far, it’s going on as scheduled,” the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Sourav Ganguly told Sportstar.

While sources at the England and Wales Cricket Board and Cricket Australia decided against calling their players back from India despite strict travel ban imposed on travellers from India, they have assured that they will do anything possible to facilitate the return of players, if and when they choose to leave.

A joint statement from Cricket Australia and Australian Cricketers’ Association read, “Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers’ Association remain in regular contact with Australian players, coaches and commentators taking part in the Indian Premier League, which is being conducted under strict bio-security protocols,” they said.

“We will continue to listen to feedback from those on the ground in India and the advice of the Australian Government. Our thoughts are with the people of India at this difficult time,” the statement added.

Franchise officials have also revealed that if a player wishes to pull out of IPL 2021 in such trying times, they will have the full support of the team and personnel.

“As of now, there is no communication in calling off the tournament, so we are planning everything to keep players motivated and safe. If any player wants to pull out due to family/personal reasons, we will do everything possible to help him,” a franchise official said.

 

About the Author


Written by DafaNews

DafaNews brings you the most highlighted news in the world of Sports. It serves you up-to-date matches, scores, live streams, fantasy games and quizzes. Our news covers India's prestigious leagues and events – Premier League, Pro Kabbadi League, Cricket World Cup and many more. Follow DafaNews on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,Telegram and Youtube for more updates.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DafaNews

Recent Posts

IPL 2025: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Gujarat Titans – Match Preview

Sunrisers Hyderabad will lock horns against Gujarat Titans in the 19th match of the ongoing… Read More

April 4, 2025

IPL 2025: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Gujarat Titans – Stats Preview

Sunrisers Hyderabad will square off against Gujarat Titans in the 19th match of the ongoing… Read More

April 4, 2025

IPL 2025: Michael Clarke backs Rohit Sharma despite poor form for Mumbai Indians

Former Australian captain Michael Clarke has put his weight behind Rohit Sharma to bounce back… Read More

April 3, 2025

Virender Sehwag heaps praise on Mohammed Siraj after GT win against RCB in IPL 2025

Former Indian opener Virender Sehwag showered praise on Mohammed Siraj after Gujarat Titans registered an… Read More

April 3, 2025

IPL 2025: Rishabh Pant admits they were 20-25 runs short of par score after loss against PBKS

Lucknow Super Giants captain Rishabh Pant admitted they were 20-25 runs short of a par… Read More

April 2, 2025

IPL 2025: Shreyas Iyer hails collective effort after win against Lucknow Super Giants

Punjab Kings captain Shreyas Iyer lauded the collective effort of the team after an eight-wicket… Read More

April 2, 2025