Cricket

IPL 2021: Tournament will go on as schedule, confirms Sourav Ganguly

The Board of Control for Cricket in India president Sourav Ganguly has confirmed that the 14th season of the Indian Premier League will go on despite the growing concerns of Covid-19.

The second wave of the virus has hit India hard as more than 3,00,000 cases are getting reported on a daily basis.

Due to growing concerns, foreign players have started to back out from the tournament. Rajasthan Royals fast bowler Andrew Tye became the first player to pull out of the tournament as he was afraid to be locked out of Australia. Subsequently, Delhi Capitals’ veteran spinner Ravichandran also opted out of the tourney as he wanted to be with his family during the ongoing health crisis.

Furthermore, Royal Challengers Bangalore’s spinner Adam Zampa and fast bowler Kane Richardson have also decided to pull out of the competition amid the growing concerns.

“So far, it’s going ahead as per schedule,” Sourav Ganguly confirmed.

A franchise official also confirmed that there hasn’t been any confirmation to call out the IPL and they are trying their best to keep the players in a secure environment.

“As of now, there is no communication in calling off the tournament, so we are planning everything to keep players motivated and safe. If any player wants to pull out due to family/personal reasons, we will do everything possible to help him,” a franchise official said.

Gujarat Cricket Association secretary Anil Patel has revealed that they are taking all the precautions for the smooth conduct of the IPL and they are not taking things lightly as the cases are going through the roof.

“We are strictly following all government and BCCI protocols. We have made it clear that only the GCA office bearers and the three former cricketers – who are in charge of the practice facilities – will be allowed to enter the stadium, following all protocols,” Gujarat Cricket Association secretary Anil Patel said.

“The ground staff and other relevant staff have been inside the bubble for the last seven to ten days inside the stadium and they are being tested every alternate day to ensure that everything runs smoothly,” he added.

About the Author


Written by DafaNews

DafaNews brings you the most highlighted news in the world of Sports. It serves you up-to-date matches, scores, live streams, fantasy games and quizzes. Our news covers India's prestigious leagues and events – Premier League, Pro Kabbadi League, Cricket World Cup and many more. Follow DafaNews on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,Telegram and Youtube for more updates.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DafaNews

Recent Posts

IPL 2025: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Gujarat Titans – Match Preview

Sunrisers Hyderabad will lock horns against Gujarat Titans in the 19th match of the ongoing… Read More

April 4, 2025

IPL 2025: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Gujarat Titans – Stats Preview

Sunrisers Hyderabad will square off against Gujarat Titans in the 19th match of the ongoing… Read More

April 4, 2025

IPL 2025: Michael Clarke backs Rohit Sharma despite poor form for Mumbai Indians

Former Australian captain Michael Clarke has put his weight behind Rohit Sharma to bounce back… Read More

April 3, 2025

Virender Sehwag heaps praise on Mohammed Siraj after GT win against RCB in IPL 2025

Former Indian opener Virender Sehwag showered praise on Mohammed Siraj after Gujarat Titans registered an… Read More

April 3, 2025

IPL 2025: Rishabh Pant admits they were 20-25 runs short of par score after loss against PBKS

Lucknow Super Giants captain Rishabh Pant admitted they were 20-25 runs short of a par… Read More

April 2, 2025

IPL 2025: Shreyas Iyer hails collective effort after win against Lucknow Super Giants

Punjab Kings captain Shreyas Iyer lauded the collective effort of the team after an eight-wicket… Read More

April 2, 2025