Football

Kerala Blasters hand contract extension to star defender Marko Leskovic

 

Kerala Blasters continued their offseason business as they are looking to tie their main player from last season with long contracts and then proceed to buy new talents. They have again handed an extension to one of the stars from last season, Marko Leskovic.

The Croatian defender will sign a new contract that will keep him at the club till 2024. The reliable defender who was one of the stalwarts for Ivan Vukomanovic joined the Blasters last season from Dinamo Zagreb.

The centre back made his professional debut back in 2009 with the youth team of NK Osijek. He then went on to toil for two years and made his professional senior team debut in 2011. It was in 2013 when he joined HNK Rijeka and he continued plying his trade for some time before joining Dinamo Zagreb in 2016. The 31-year-old featured for NK Lokomotiva on loan from Dinamo Zagreb where he spent six months.

He joined Kerala Blasters last season to try out a different challenge and that worked out really nicely for Leskovic as he guided the team to the Indian Super League finals and only lost out against Hyderabad FC on penalties. His leadership at the back and the way he guided Ruivah Hormipan beside him was very commendable. He was one of the underrated signings from last season as fit in Vukomanovic’s style of play perfectly. Hence the long term contract to keep him in Kochi.

Leskovic has represented Croatia in various age groups starting from U-18 to U-21. He has also featured for the Croatia national team when he made his debut back in 2014 against Argentina. He has four appearances for Croatia. Therefore his immense experience makes him one of the most high profile defenders in the league.

“I’m excited to continue my stay with Kerala Blasters. We reached so far into the game last season, this season’s motive would be to win that cup under the guidance of our Head Coach.” says a delighted Marko Lešković.

“I’m happy we reached an agreement with Marko. He is one of the best players around the league and it’s great that we were able to keep consistency and extend his stay in Kerala for at least the next two years” said Karolis Skinkys, Sporting Director, KBFC.

Kerala Blasters are looking to hold on to their core from last season and till now apart from Alvaro Vazquez they have done a very successful job in doing so. Vazquez has switched sides and joined FC Goa.

About the Author


Written by DafaNews

DafaNews brings you the most highlighted news in the world of Sports. It serves you up-to-date matches, scores, live streams, fantasy games and quizzes. Our news covers India's prestigious leagues and events – Premier League, Pro Kabbadi League, Cricket World Cup and many more. Follow DafaNews on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,Telegram and Youtube for more updates.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DafaNews

Recent Posts

Irfan Pathan backs Devdutt Padikkal to bat at no.3 in one-off Test against Afghanistan

Former Indian all-rounder Irfan Pathan has backed Devdutt Padikkal to bat at one drop in… Read More

May 21, 2026

Saba Karim says RR are dependent on Vaibhav Suryavanshi’s batting amid IPL 2026

Former Indian wicket-keeper bat Saba Karim believes Rajasthan Royals are dependent on Vaibhav Suryavanshi’s batting… Read More

May 21, 2026

Ravichandran Ashwin slams Arshdeep Singh after PBKS vs RCB IPL 2026 game

Former Indian all-rounder Ravichandran Ashwin slammed Arshdeep Singh’s performance after Punjab Kings suffered a 23-run… Read More

May 19, 2026

Wasim Jaffer lauds Vaibhav Suryavanshi after DC vs RR IPL 2026 match

Former Indian Test opener Wasim Jaffer lavished praise on Vaibhav Suryavanshi after Rajasthan Royals suffered… Read More

May 19, 2026

Hemang Badani hails Mitchell Starc after win against Rajasthan Royals in IPL 2026

Delhi Capitals head coach Hemang Badani showered praise on Mitchell Starc after they registered a… Read More

May 18, 2026

Riyan Parag after loss against DC: If we keep playing like this, we shouldn’t be in contention for top 4

Rajasthan Royals captain Riyan Parag expressed his disappointment after they suffered a five-wicket loss against… Read More

May 18, 2026