Football

Sunil Chhetri inks a new two year contract extension with Bengaluru FC

 

Indian Super League outfit Bengaluru FC have announced that they have extended their association with their captain Sunil Chhetri for another two years. The new deal keeps him at the club till the end of 2023 and will see him complete ten glorious years at the club.

He joined Bengaluru FC way back in 2013 and has already notched up 203 appearances for the club netting 101 goals. It is amazing how he has led the Blues since their inception and has been the top scorer for the club in all of the eight seasons.

The 36-year-old feels like home at Bengaluru FC and that connection reflects on the pitch. He has been with the club since the start and wants to continue leading them to new glories.

“I’m really happy to have signed on for two more years at Bengaluru FC. The city is home now, and the people at this club are like family to me. It feels like just yesterday that I signed for the first time here, and I have to say the journey has been nothing short of special. I love this club, the supporters and the city, all three of which I have a strong bond with, and I’m looking forward to being part of many more great moments with them,” said Chhetri, after putting pen to paper.

Under Chhetri’s leadership, Bengaluru FC won the I-League title in their first year in 2013. Since then he has led them to win more trophies which include two Federation Cups, a Super Cup and lastly the Indian Super League in the 2018-19 season. Even last season when the Blues experienced their worst ever performance, Chhetri scored eight goals along with two goals. He ended the ISL campaign as the team’s highest scorer.

“Sunil has been an integral part of this club since day one. We all know what he, as a player, brings to the team. But his presence as a leader has been equally crucial to us, and especially to the youngsters coming through the ranks. He is a role model, and his influence and application has been paramount to our success. Over the last eight years, he has made this city his home and we are really happy that he has committed his future to Bengaluru FC,” said club CEO, Mandar Tamhane.

The 36-year-old recently scored a brace against Bangladesh and helped India in the FIFA World Cup and AFC Asian Cup joint qualifier in Doha earlier this month. The win helped them progress to the third round of the AFC Asian Cup 2023.

Related Post
Share
Published by
Website Admin

Recent Posts

Irfan Pathan backs Devdutt Padikkal to bat at no.3 in one-off Test against Afghanistan

Former Indian all-rounder Irfan Pathan has backed Devdutt Padikkal to bat at one drop in… Read More

May 21, 2026

Saba Karim says RR are dependent on Vaibhav Suryavanshi’s batting amid IPL 2026

Former Indian wicket-keeper bat Saba Karim believes Rajasthan Royals are dependent on Vaibhav Suryavanshi’s batting… Read More

May 21, 2026

Ravichandran Ashwin slams Arshdeep Singh after PBKS vs RCB IPL 2026 game

Former Indian all-rounder Ravichandran Ashwin slammed Arshdeep Singh’s performance after Punjab Kings suffered a 23-run… Read More

May 19, 2026

Wasim Jaffer lauds Vaibhav Suryavanshi after DC vs RR IPL 2026 match

Former Indian Test opener Wasim Jaffer lavished praise on Vaibhav Suryavanshi after Rajasthan Royals suffered… Read More

May 19, 2026

Hemang Badani hails Mitchell Starc after win against Rajasthan Royals in IPL 2026

Delhi Capitals head coach Hemang Badani showered praise on Mitchell Starc after they registered a… Read More

May 18, 2026

Riyan Parag after loss against DC: If we keep playing like this, we shouldn’t be in contention for top 4

Rajasthan Royals captain Riyan Parag expressed his disappointment after they suffered a five-wicket loss against… Read More

May 18, 2026