Tennis

Novak Djokovic pulls out of Mutua Madrid Open

 

The World No. 1 Novak Djokovic has decided to opt out of the upcoming Mutua Madrid Open 2021, which begins this week. Djokovic has decided not to play in the ATP Masters 1000 event, the organisers have confirmed on Wednesday.

Djokovic is hopeful that he will be back in Madrid next year.

“Sorry that I won’t be able to travel to Madrid this year and meet all my fans,” Djokovic said in a message shared by the Madrid Open organisers on Twitter. “It’s been two years already, quite a long time. Hope to see you all next year!”.

Meanwhile, Djokovic was last seen in action in the Serbia Open last week. The talisman lost in the semi-finals of the tournament against Russia’s Aslan Karatsev.

On the other hand, Djokovic is the defending champion of the Mutua Madrid Open. Djokovic had defeated Greece’s Stefanos Tsitsipas by 6-3, 6-4 in 2019. However, the event was cancelled in 2020 due to Covid-19 pandemic.

Djokovic is now expected to play at next month’s Rome Masters and Belgrade Open in the lead up to the clay court major in Paris, which begins on May 30.

Meanwhile, after breaking Roger Federer’s record of spending most weeks at the number one ranking, Djokovic had stated that his focus will be on major slam titles. Djokovic has a healthy lead over the second-placed Daniil Medvedev in the ATP rankings.

The Serbian had won his 18 slam title after he defeated Russia’s Daniil Medvedev in straight sets in the final of the Australian Open.

Since then, Djokovic has played in a handful of ATP events and his focus will be to go all the way in the French Open.

Meanwhile, Rafael Nadal is seeded as number one for the Madrid Open and he will be one of the favourites after winning his 12th Barcelona Open.

About the Author


Written by DafaNews

DafaNews brings you the most highlighted news in the world of Sports. It serves you up-to-date matches, scores, live streams, fantasy games and quizzes. Our news covers India's prestigious leagues and events – Premier League, Pro Kabbadi League, Cricket World Cup and many more. Follow DafaNews on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,Telegram and Youtube for more updates.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DafaNews

Recent Posts

Ravi Shastri lauds Ishan Kishan after IND vs PAK T20 World Cup 2026 match

Former Indian head coach Ravi Shastri has lavished praise on Ishan Kishan after India registered… Read More

February 16, 2026

Aakash Chopra slams Pakistan’s batting in IND vs PAK T20 World Cup 2026 clash

Former Indian Test opener Aakash Chopra slammed Pakistan’s batting after they suffered a 61-run loss… Read More

February 16, 2026

Mohammad Kaif backs Kuldeep Yadav’s inclusion ahead of IND vs NAM T20 World Cup match

Former Indian batter Mohammad Kaif has urged India to play Kuldeep Yadav in the T20… Read More

February 12, 2026

Lakshmipathy Balaji says over-reliance on Abhishek Sharma is clear after IND vs USA T20 World Cup clash

Former Indian pacer Lakshmipathy Balaji believes over-reliance on Abhishek Sharma was palpable after the team’s… Read More

February 12, 2026

Ricky Ponting lauds Arshdeep Singh ahead of IND vs NAM T20 World Cup 2026 match

Fomer Australian skipper Ricky Ponting has showered praise on Arshdeep Singh ahead of the T20… Read More

February 11, 2026

Pakistan withdraw boycott of India match at T20 World Cup

The much-anticipated match between India and Pakistan at the T20 World Cup will go on… Read More

February 11, 2026