Tennis

Rafael Nadal pulls out of remainder of 2021 season due to foot injury

 

Tennis star Rafael Nadal has decided to pull out of the remainder of the 2021 season due to his foot injury, which has been troubling him in the recent past. Nadal had earlier withdrawn from Wimbledon and Tokyo Olympics due to his injury in order to be ready for the US Open.

However, the lefty will now miss the US Open as well as the rest of the ATP season. Nadal is obviously disappointed to be ruled out and he wants to make a solid comeback in 2022.

The Spaniard had made a comeback in the Citi Open in Washington but lost to South Africa’s Lloyd Harris in the Round of 16 in three sets.

“I am very sorry to announce that I will not be able to keep playing tennis during the 2021 season. But as you know I have been suffering too much with my foot for the past year,” Nadal said in his Instagram post. “I have missed a lot of important events for me like the US Open now, like Wimbledon, like the Olympics and many other events that are so important and emotional for me.”

After playing in the gruelling semifinal of the French Open against Novak Djokovic, Nadal decided to take a break to give rest to his injury. After losing in Washington, the lefty decided to pull out of National Bank Open and the Cincinnati Open.

“After coming back from Toronto, I took a couple of days to think about it. I needed to talk with my family, with my team and with my doctors especially to understand what is going on. But the foot is not the proper way today,” Nadal said.

“During the past year I was not practising and preparing myself the way that I need to to be competitive at the standards that I want to be, so we had to take that decision. But I am confident that I will recover 100 per cent and I will be able to fight again for the most important things.

“The injury is nothing new. It is the same injury that I have had since 2005. In that moment, the doctors were very negative about my future career, but I was able to have a career that I never dreamed about. So I am confident that I will recover again the foot and if the foot is better, I am confident that my tennis and my mentality will be there again soon.”

Nadal had a 24-5 record in 2021 and won two titles in Rome and Barcelona and both of them came on clay. The Spaniard will aim to make a solid comeback.

About the Author


Written by DafaNews

DafaNews brings you the most highlighted news in the world of Sports. It serves you up-to-date matches, scores, live streams, fantasy games and quizzes. Our news covers India's prestigious leagues and events – Premier League, Pro Kabbadi League, Cricket World Cup and many more. Follow DafaNews on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,Telegram and Youtube for more updates.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DafaNews

Recent Posts

IPL 2025: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Gujarat Titans – Match Preview

Sunrisers Hyderabad will lock horns against Gujarat Titans in the 19th match of the ongoing… Read More

April 4, 2025

IPL 2025: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Gujarat Titans – Stats Preview

Sunrisers Hyderabad will square off against Gujarat Titans in the 19th match of the ongoing… Read More

April 4, 2025

IPL 2025: Michael Clarke backs Rohit Sharma despite poor form for Mumbai Indians

Former Australian captain Michael Clarke has put his weight behind Rohit Sharma to bounce back… Read More

April 3, 2025

Virender Sehwag heaps praise on Mohammed Siraj after GT win against RCB in IPL 2025

Former Indian opener Virender Sehwag showered praise on Mohammed Siraj after Gujarat Titans registered an… Read More

April 3, 2025

IPL 2025: Rishabh Pant admits they were 20-25 runs short of par score after loss against PBKS

Lucknow Super Giants captain Rishabh Pant admitted they were 20-25 runs short of a par… Read More

April 2, 2025

IPL 2025: Shreyas Iyer hails collective effort after win against Lucknow Super Giants

Punjab Kings captain Shreyas Iyer lauded the collective effort of the team after an eight-wicket… Read More

April 2, 2025