Tennis

Sumit Nagal confident of song show at US Open

 

India number one male tennis player, Sumit Nagal, is excited to be among those that will be participating in the US open that started on Monday.

The world number 122 is not worried about playing in uncertain times. The competition will be played behind closed doors due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Rather than pondering about not being under the spotlight, Nagal, who recently turned 23, said one has to survive in this kind of situation.

Not mind playing in empty arenas, Nagal will, who took a set off Roger Federer at the US Open last year, which was his maiden Grand Slam appearance, is hoping to be better than last year.

Although it will be different this time around because he is in the main draw due to a few pull-outs, the 22-year-old who moved five places up on the latest ATP ranking earned it on merit.

The Haryana lad will open his campaign against local favourite Bradley Klahn in the first round. If he succeeds in going past the American, he might likely meet second seed, Dominic Thiem of Austria, in the next round.

The environment won’t be buzzing, unlike last year, due to the bio-bubble. The Indian said it’s not the worst thing that could have happened to him by getting into the main draw, unlike last year that he had to get there through qualifying.

While noting that the world is not at a better place, Nagal said playing tennis is how he will survive.

He further expressed the belief that he is playing very good tennis, having worked hard in the last four-five months.

Nagal, who feels good about his tennis, said he is looking forward to his first main draw match (at a Grand Slam).

Meanwhile, Klahn, who is six places below the Indian in the latest ranking, won’t be a pushover. He had gotten to his season-best at 63 six years ago, and he is a 2010 NCAA champion.

The 30-year-old has won eight Challenger titles and $1.5 million in career prize money.

 

 

Written by: Oladipupo Mojeed

About the Author


Written by DafaNews

DafaNews brings you the most highlighted news in the world of Sports. It serves you up-to-date matches, scores, live streams, fantasy games and quizzes. Our news covers India's prestigious leagues and events – Premier League, Pro Kabbadi League, Cricket World Cup and many more. Follow DafaNews on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,Telegram and Youtube for more updates.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DafaNews

Recent Posts

Irfan Pathan backs Devdutt Padikkal to bat at no.3 in one-off Test against Afghanistan

Former Indian all-rounder Irfan Pathan has backed Devdutt Padikkal to bat at one drop in… Read More

May 21, 2026

Saba Karim says RR are dependent on Vaibhav Suryavanshi’s batting amid IPL 2026

Former Indian wicket-keeper bat Saba Karim believes Rajasthan Royals are dependent on Vaibhav Suryavanshi’s batting… Read More

May 21, 2026

Ravichandran Ashwin slams Arshdeep Singh after PBKS vs RCB IPL 2026 game

Former Indian all-rounder Ravichandran Ashwin slammed Arshdeep Singh’s performance after Punjab Kings suffered a 23-run… Read More

May 19, 2026

Wasim Jaffer lauds Vaibhav Suryavanshi after DC vs RR IPL 2026 match

Former Indian Test opener Wasim Jaffer lavished praise on Vaibhav Suryavanshi after Rajasthan Royals suffered… Read More

May 19, 2026

Hemang Badani hails Mitchell Starc after win against Rajasthan Royals in IPL 2026

Delhi Capitals head coach Hemang Badani showered praise on Mitchell Starc after they registered a… Read More

May 18, 2026

Riyan Parag after loss against DC: If we keep playing like this, we shouldn’t be in contention for top 4

Rajasthan Royals captain Riyan Parag expressed his disappointment after they suffered a five-wicket loss against… Read More

May 18, 2026